Pages

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Photos of me through the ages (photo heavy)

Hello everyone

I have been wanting to do a post like this for ages but finally feel ready now.


A happy baby, as a child my parents said I was always smiling and laughing.

Age 6 - love this photo I am just wondering what I have done.


Age 7 - I had a really happy childhood and I brilliant parents


Age 11 - I loved my long hair





Basically from 13 onwards it all went downhill. I never had a problem with how I looked until then but this was the age I developed spots.  Having spots alone ruined a lot of my teenage years. I missed out on so much because I felt I was too ugly and I was ashamed of how I looked. The funny thing is I look back now and realise I was not ugly at all. I actually had quite a few boys fancy me but I always believed they fancied me for a joke....like you know how they play those awful games of chatting up the ugly girl!
I always wore make up and up until 2 years ago even my parents never saw me without foundation on.
There is a big gap in the photos from 11-17 as I avoided all photographs of me so consequently do not have any which is a real shame!


Age 17 - I am the one in the white skirt. Oh my gosh look at the hair (it was the 80's) but look how tiny I was!

 


With my mum I was about 23.  This is not a good photo of me or my mum really.  My mum actually looks lovely especially for her age.


Age 28 - This photo was taken in Bournemouth.  I remember this day so well as I actually felt so down because I thought I was fat and ugly!!!   Looking back I cannot believe I felt this way as I love this photo.  I was going out with Mike then we had not been together all that long and he could not believe I felt this way.  He said he was so proud to be going out with me. He said he would notice all the men staring at me but I only thought they were staring as I looked so awful! How sad!!


Although I hated how I looked when I was younger I was never insecure or jealous.  I have and will never accuse Mike of looking at other women because I know all men notice pretty girls thats a fact I just used to admire them too and think 'why can't I look like them?'.  Its sad as in reality people used to always comment that I was really pretty but sadly I never believed them.

Age 29 - I actually loved that top and coat and wore those trousers all the time haha.




Age 30 - Oh my gosh how short was my skirt.  At the age of 30 I was offered to do modelling and promotional work but never took it up as I always felt not good enough.  We had just moved into our house then so look at the state of the garden!


Age 31 - My wedding day  


Age 33 


Age 34 - with my best friend Yimen (Shopping as usual).  I totally loved that skirt it was from Karen Millen, Mike bought it me for christmas that year. 

Age 36 



Anyway like I said I have a love./hair relationship with my skin. I hate it because I feel I cannot go out without make up but I like it because I do not have any sun damage so therefore I have not aged too badly.  I do not have any lines on my forehead and hardly any lines at all around my eyes so I am lucky and a lot of people say I look younger than I do.  I do think having oilier skin does help to keep you looking younger.

Age 37


Age 38

As I always hated my skin I always used to make my eyes up and would never go out without eye make up either.  Mike said it was the first thing he noticed about me was my eyes.


For years I have never been able to wear moisturiser as my skin is sensitive I would always break out in spots that was until I found Superdrug Vitamin E moisturiser which is only £2.99.
I don't believe in using expensive products as I have found in the past they don't work and I have never used anti-ageing products in my life although maybe I should do as I am now late 30's.



I love the Superdrug Vitamin E cream its brilliant stuff it makes your skin so soft and smooth but not greasy.





Me now at aged 39.

At the moment Superdrug have an offer on the Vitamin E products, you can get two products for £3.99 so therefore I bought the day moisturiser and night cream.


Have you ever tried this?

I really cannot express how much I love this product and the price is a real bargain plus the real beauty is that its not tested on animals.

I am getting better I am a lot less hard on myself now than I was and have accepted myself more.  I know I will never be Miss England but I know also that I do not look nowhere near as bad as I used to think I did.  I have got a lot more confidence now than I used to have in my 20's.
I can actually look at some photos now and think yes I am ok.

Oh and also my hair is getting much longer its getting near to the length it used to be.  Just hurry up and grow!!


Take care
Lisa-Jane
xx

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for a really interesting post, its awful I think of us girls to always focus on our flaws and let them rule our lives so but we all do it! May I just say one of the largest shocks of this post was your age, I'd thought you were in your mid to late 20s!
    Maddy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thankyou Maddy thats so sweet and a big big compliment xx

      Delete
  2. I think you look lovely hun. And to quote what my hubby says to me."you get better with age like a fine bottle of wine!"

    X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha thats so true. I definitely think confidence comes with age xx

      Delete
  3. Lisa! You don't look 39! Iyou're really stunning!
    And we all get those thoughts in our teens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thats such a lovely thing to say.

      I think the teenage years are the worst years of your life personally , well it was for me anyway x

      Delete
  4. You look at least 10 years younger, I was showing your picture to my mum the other day and I asked her "Guess how old she is" and said you were about my age :)

    Teenage years are so awful, hopefully most of us grew our confidence, but for myself, I hated those years when I was 11-15.

    It's so sad that lots of us girls don't feel good about ourselves when we have so much going on. I try to stay clear of negative thoughts about myself, but there is always something you notice...

    Vitamin E is a good skin essential, one of my favourite moisturiers (from Avon) has vitamin A & E and it's good, especially in the harsh Canadian winter ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thankyou thats so nice and to think your mum thought I looked your age ...wow thats such an amazing compliment.

      I agree it is sad that girls/women are made to feel this way we should just be enjoying life and life is way too short xx

      Delete
  5. Wow, you've barely changed from the pic at 23! You really do look amazing and not your age, you should be proud of your looks, your very pretty and have a lovely figure. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thankyou thats such a lovely thing to say x

      Delete
  6. This post really strucka chord with me - I went through a large phase of my life from the ages of 8 - 19 hating myself and the way I looked, and even when boys asked me out I always thought it was an ask the ugly, fat girl out joke. When I look back now on pictures from my teens I was a tiny, skinny little thing with no spare fat on my body and there was definitely nothing wrong with my face! There are still things I really want to change and my main one is my weight. But to be honest I think years of telling myself I was fat and wrapping so many mental issues round food has made me end up the weight I am because I've never just eaten for the sake of hunger, and food became my go to when I was in a partiuclarly low point. Ironically now I am happier with myself because looking back on those photos now has made me realise how much of my life I've wasted hating myself, and whilst my weight may be an issue now in 10 years time I'm going to wish I had spent my 20s making the most of being in my 20s and not spent another decade in self hate! I think youre a beautiful woman - and you look like you're in your 20s so you can definitely do more than look at photos and think you're 'ok'! Anyway I love the positive message of this post so thank you for being so open and sharing how you've felt/feel now :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I think women give themselves such a hard time and also the media and magazines don't help x

      Delete
  7. you've always looked stunning Lisa, such a shame you had low confidence in yourself. So jealous of all your lovely long hair, wish mine would grow like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie you are too kind. Well I wish my hair was longer to be honest. I suppose we are never happy with what we have x

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you feel confident enough to share all these treasured moments in your history with us.

    You are beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your just beautiful!! and ugh I had a terrible time with spots and still can't put any makeup or anything on my skin but thankfully it does not break out very often anymore as long as I keep it clean....You look great for 39 gosh you look like half your age!! I say grow hair grow toooo mine is taking forever to grow out!! ~Have a great week xx Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather I know mine feels like its taking ages to grow. Its long now but I just want it longer. People think I am mad as its already long but I think when you are used to it being waist length anything shorter seems..well..short! xx

      Delete
  10. You are not 39! That is a complete lie I believe!
    I mean really are you 39? You look over 10 years younger than that - I mean I am shocked, really shocked!
    I can sympathise, I still get break outs now at 28 and it is really a confidence knocker - it doesn't help that my boyfriend has incredible skin. But I think for now I will take the adult acne over the wrinkles :)

    Gems x

    Fashion, Well Done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww Gemma you are so kind. I am lucky I suppose I do look a bit younger people don't believe my age but I know one day it will catch up with me lol.

      Thanks for your lovely compliments. I agree adult acne is much better than wrinkles lol. You don't look like you get acne though xx

      Delete
  11. What a fabulously honest post and what a beautiful little girl (and adult) you were!
    There's hardly any pictures of me in my 20s and 30s either, I never liked looking at myself but like you, when I look back at the few that exist I wonder why I was so hard on myself.
    Things do get batter with age, you learn to accept yourself as you are and not waste precious time worrying about other people's perception of you. It's their problem if they don't like what they see, all we can do is make the best of what we've got.
    I love Superdrug's Vit E range,the best products ever! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Vix I cannot believe you were hard on yourself as you are pretty and always seem so confident now.

      I think confidence does definitely get better with age.
      xx

      Delete
  12. You look fantastic, I would put you at 29 not 39!

    I love Superdrug vitamin E products, too. They are SUCH good value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thankyou such a lovely compliment I know I love this range x

      Delete
  13. Wow, You look amazing for you age, I'm sorry that you did not like the way you looked when you were younger; you were gorgeous and still are to this day!

    A x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this post with us - it's such a shame that you missed out on all those years where you wernt confident - you were and still are beautiful!

    I would NEVER of said you were 39 by the way!!!!

    Sal xXx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really great :) Thank you for sharing your photos and thoughts and I love that you are embracing yourself more. You looked fantastic through out the years and it's something I guess lots of woman struggle with but I love that you are being more confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks Gracie I am trying to be more confident but its a battle xx

      Delete
  16. u look absolutely stunning for ur age and you were beautiful throughout all your years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thankyou Monica you are so kind x

      Delete
  17. I loved this post Lisa, what a fab idea, I might do something like this in the future! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Carla, I know I am always really critical of my photos and I find it hard not to be so I am glad I found the confidence to do this x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello

    I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for these comments you don't know how much they mean to me.

    Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment as I love reading your messages.
Thanks you for visiting The Brunette Diaries.
Love
Lisa-Jane
xx