Pages

Monday 15 August 2011

Thomas - his story.


A few years ago we were going to go to the Cats Protection as we really wanted to get a cat.  Being honest at the time I wanted a dog as I have always grown up around dogs but because we were at work all day we thought it would be cruel on a dog.  I am so glad we did not get a dog now.

In the meantime we had a call from one of Mike's relations who was elderly and living in sheltered accomodation, they had been taking a cat in that had been left homeless.   They told us some nights it would be pouring with rain and this cat would be on the doorstep miaowing, they would just let him in although they had no food for him.  They knew he had been left homeless as they knew of the lady who owned him and she just moved out leaving the cat behind....!
They started buying food for him and taking him in every night but as they lived in sheltered accomodation they were not really allowed pets.  They asked if we would like to give him a home and straight away we said yes!   We knew nothing about him only that he was a ginger tom and he was an adult cat, although we never knew his age.  

I remember the day he came to live with us so well.  Mike and his father went to collect him, when they brought him in the front door I thought how huge he was, he had the most beautiful markings and an adorable little face with big green eyes. 

The first couple of weeks we did not know how Thomas would react, he would not get too close to us and was very distant and quite sad. He woud sit alone and sleep for hours in a room on his own. I hated seeing him like this but I suppose he needed time to settle as cats hate upheaval and change!  
Eventually after a while he started to come around to spending time with us and we showered him with so much love and attention. 

Then in July 2008 he went missing two days before we flew to The Algarve.  We searched all the roads in the surrounding area for him but he was nowhere to be seen.  On the Sunday we had to leave early to get our flight and he had beeing missing since Friday,  as we checked in at the airport I could not hold back the tears I did not want to go on holiday and the lady at the check in desk thought I was scared of flying.  
After a terrible nights sleep and constant crying on the Sunday we were on the beach the following morning when we had a call from Mike's mum saying Thomas had returned home and was quite put out that we were not there apparently he ran straight to his food cupboard miaowing, he was obviously starving.

We think he got locked in a garage over the weekend as he is too nosey for his own good! He even got trapped in our garage once! We wondered where he was as he had not come home and heard him miaowing he must have followed Mike in there earlier in the day.

Now Thomas loves being part of the family he follows us everywhere, he is the most loving cat.   He loves being tickled and played with.  Most nights he sleeps on the bed with us he hates being left downstairs at night and he follows Mike everywhere even into the bathroom.


He is our baby and is spoilt rotten, besides his normal cat food and biscuits he gets cooked turkey and chicken from the deli, roast beef and tinned salmon and he loves a bit of cheese.

He has his little quirks he hates the refuse lorries and hides from them and he also hates strangers coming to the house, in fact he is very wary of people which makes me think he was treated badly by someone in the past. He is ok once he gets to know they are a nice person though.

The funniest thing about Tommy is when he yawns he crosses his eyes, I find it so sweet.  Also when a friend of mine stayed once he tried to pull the duvet cover of her in the night, he had held onto the end of the duvet and she had to hold her end tightly, like a game of tug and war! I still laugh when I think about that.

I just wanted to share the story of our cat (baby) Thomas, also know as Tommy, Tom Tom, Tom lad, little lad or Tom bomb, because he bombs around the place sometimes!  

Do you have nicknames for your pets?

I have loads more photos of him and some quite comical ones but for some reason I had trouble uploading them!

He likes showing his tongue ha ha




Tomorrow I shall be doing an outfit post and my giveaway is coming very soon.

Lisa-Jane
xx

13 comments:

  1. Well I'm so glad you were able to get your sweet Thomas. He always looks like he has a smile on his face. He is such a sweetheart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about Thomas, he's absolutely gorgeous and sounds like he's a right old character, too. That must have been devastating when he went missing before your holidays, thank goodness he turned up again. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is adorable! It is so nice that he has now found a loving home. I can not believe that someone would just move and leave a pet behind. Thats awful, just awful.

    My two are spoilt rotten too. Socks (aka sockus and sockbox) and Tink (aka tinker-spink, tinkerbell, tinkle toes and rinker-stinker) are nearly 4 years old, I got them as kittens from my best friend's neighbour which is lovely as my friend has their half sister Teddy (ted-ted) and I get to see their Mum (Daisy) on a regular basis - it feels like an extended family.

    I would be beside myself if they ever went missing, I go and find them if I haven't seen them for a few hours… they're normally asleep on something they shouldn't be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh he is lovely, its so nice he has a happy home now! My parents got their cats from the RSPCA and mine and my boys cat would have ended up at the RSPCA too - I love giving them a lovely new home! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute cat :))

    Desislava
    http://truedreamcatcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving your story. i am glad thomas warmed up to your family. It's great you guys adopted him <3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet. Thanks for sharing. He is super cute!

    My cat is named Whiskas and we have had him since Ashleigh was small, just over 10 years. He was run over as a kitten and had to have both of his hip joints cut off! (They grow back in cats) It cost us over £1000 in vets fees, he's since been known as our holiday cat due to us having to forgo our annual holiday to pay the bill!

    I wouldn't be with out him though. He knows everyone and is as friendly as can be. He got locked in the neighbours car overnight the once, let's just say it didn't smell very nice when he was let out!

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy moly! what a precious kitty! I love hearing stories of lost animals finding their way to good homes and loving arms <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw Thomas <3 Flash loves to show his tongue too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute post! Thomas is gorgeous!
    Cats are such amazing companions aren't they xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a lovely story. Maybe I should do a similar post about Comet (who also has a million nicknames!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. awweh i love posts like this, :) you've inspired me to write one!hehe!
    its so nice that you took him in and gave him a home.

    i'm sure he loves you even more for that, i can imagine how upset you were when you couldn't find him, my cats a house kitty and when he vanishes my hearts in my mouth cause hes never been out!!

    he is a beautiful kitty cat hehe!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment as I love reading your messages.
Thanks you for visiting The Brunette Diaries.
Love
Lisa-Jane
xx