Pages

Thursday 13 October 2011

Age IS just a number


Ok sorry I am going to have a rant! 
 I was watching Gok's Fashion Fix on Tuesday night and it got me fuming.
I don't know if anyone watched it but they had 3 ladies on the show who were having a makeover.  One of them was pretty she was 41 and I think she looked younger than her age and they said that she dresses too young for her age.

I agree sometimes women can make themselves look cheap but they can do that at any age because its all in the styling.  Surely some women over 35 can wear 'younger' clothing without looking like mutton its all about how you dress and what you wear.

My point is I think you should be able to dress however you want as long as you are happy then so what.  I do think there are certain restrictions like going out showing your underwear and wearing extremely tarty clothing then ok people may have cause to comment on that.  
I am 38 and just because I am 38 does not mean I am going to start shopping in BHS once I am 40.  Also I have long hair and I want to grow it longer. It used to be down to my waist till about 2 years ago, now its down to the middle of my back (maybe a tad longer) and I love having long hair and I cannot wait for it to be waist length again.  I have been told by numerous people I have lovely hair and not to have it cut usually by younger women and men but then I get the women my own age who say I should have my hair cut as I am knocking 40.....I mean why??? I would never dream of telling them to lose weight, dress better or grow their hair long?  Is there some rule somewhere that says once you are 40 you cannot have long hair?  God it angers me so much!
Surely if your hair is in nice condition and you look after it then what does it matter!

Anyway back to Gok's Fashon Fix the lady who was 41 had long hair but they cut it to make her look more 'grown up'...why?  Her hair looked lovely as it was and long hair made her look younger anyway.  I think how Gok styled her was ok but before she used to wear coloured skinny jeans and vest tops BUT she had the figure so what does it matter!

I think its all about how you act as well if you carry yourself with style and class than it does not matter what age you are.

Therefore there are some bad examples of women over a certain age dressing badly aka Shirley in Eastenders

But look at Gwen Stefani she is 40 and looks fabulous


There are many more women over 35 who look fabulous aka Kylie Minogue, Halle Berry I could go on.  I know not many people like her, I actually think she is nice but Carol Vorderman is 50 and ok I know she has had work done but I think she has a fabulous figure and so what if she wears skin tight dresses...she looks brilliant in those dresses.
  

What do you think about age? Do you think that once you are a certain age you cannot wear certain clothing?
Do you think once you are 40 you should have short hair?

10 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you there Lisa! I prefer to buy clothes that fit right and shows off my ample *ahem* assets and my tiny bum. There is NO WAY I'll start shopping in BHS once I hit 40 and wear lavender.... urgh!!! I love wearing red and navy blue too much, and would prefer dressing sexily/appealing to my man than wear hoodies and wearing ill-fitting clothes anyday!

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. As long as someone has fun and enjoys dressing how they do then it's no-one else's business whether they look trashy, inappropriate or offensive.
    There's a pair of twin sisters who regular drink in town, they are in their late sixties with peroxide blonde hair, leather shorts and thigh boots. They have an absolute ball and I'd love to be that cool when I grow up. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My take on the whole situation: nobody should let somebody else put them in a box where they don't belong.

    if you're beautiful and comfortable. Do what you won't! You only have your own happiness to answer to at the end of the night anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know you hit my buttons today, Lisa Jane! My whole blog is about being stylish over a Certain Age, and not giving up : > I am really annoyed when women over 40 are told to cut their hair, wear long skirts, cover this and that and *behave*. I didn't see this show, but I am sure I'd be ranting too! Thanks for writing about this, as a young person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't listen to a thing anyone tells you Lisa you are beautiful and regardless of age, dress how you feel comfortable!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hear, hear! I am now 40 and will dress how I like. You don't hit a certain number and then have to give up fashion or hair styles in order to now be "grown up!" if you dress to make you happy and feel great then it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you completely, age is just a number and it's all about how you present yourself. Never let anyone talk you into cutting your hair, it looks amazing and suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your lovely comment Lisa-Jane. I've just been super busy and lazy. I've finally done a post if you wanted to check it out. I agree with everything you've said in this post. Age is really a number. As long as your comfortable in your own skin that's the main thing I reckon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gwen Stefani is 40?! Who would have guessed...
    ---------------
    hollylikestoblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just came across your post and I have loads to say on this issue! My own mum is 53 and looks about 40 at most, and she wears clothes that even I'd wear, and I'm 17. Age is definitely a number; my mum doesn't look like mutton, and nor do I dress like a 40year old. It depends on genetics (she has no wrinkles and is tiny) and taste; my mum must be doing something right if her teenage daughter is jealous of her wardrobe!

    Good on you for wanting to keep growing your hair out, 38 is young and you shouldn't have to suddenly become an old lady...especially as people are living well into their 80's and 90's in the 21st century!
    PHew, sorry for the rant, I agree entirely with you :) x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment as I love reading your messages.
Thanks you for visiting The Brunette Diaries.
Love
Lisa-Jane
xx